1) Grab Attention – The effectiveness of a banner advertisement depends on its ability to grab an internet surfer’s attention the moment they land on the page. A web designer will have to use a range of tools in their design arsenal including color, images, copy, typography, and more.
2) Don’t Annoy – Today’s online shopper is more persnickety than ever before, and the last thing they want is to be annoyed with cheap ploys, animated objects, flashy words, and other old techniques which are no longer innovative. Instead, discover new modern way to capture attention while still respecting the internet viewers’ space.
3) Get to the Point – Words do not come cheaply when it comes to space on a banner ad. Designers will have to ensure they are stating the mission and goal of the ad – the attention grabber and call to action – with as few of words as possible. This will help be sure readers see the whole message, as well as leave white space for attractiveness.
4) Scalability – Designers must be sure their ad will still look good no matter the size of the screen it is being viewed on. Today’s online consumer surfs the web on screen as large as a television and as small as phone. Make sure the ad’s graphics, type, and colors all look high quality no matter the scale.
5) Creativity – Designers must not let the limited space and restrictions of banner ad design get in the way of their creativity. Still take the time to brainstorm and create something impressive.